4.28.2009

Galatians 1:15-17

But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.


Usually when one reads ‘BUT’ in Paul’s letters – one should make a note to read over that statement again. It is a change of pace, a change of rhythm for Paul. At least that is my impression. It doesn’t change the subject… but it is like those warning bumps before stop signs on country roads. You know those? Paul is notorious for taking us on scenic routes of his theology, enjoying the grand nature and beauty of Jesus – so much so that we often need those bumps to remind us that we are come close to a stop in our conversation with Paul and he is now showing a contrast.


I have often been slightly confused with this section of scripture. It is clear that the active entity here is the Lord (setting apart, calling, revealing). There is a divine intention with Paul’s life. So I simply confess that I don’t understand this mystery of providence and sovereignty. To not belabor the point, or go too far into my own understanding:

…We cannot all expect that God has our days planned out for us. There is little in scripture to assert that expectation for each one of us. But from time to time we have leaders (a Moses, a Paul, a church planter, a unique missionary going where none have gone…etc) that are specifically chosen by God sometime in their life, or before it. And one has to wonder the inner thoughts of a person like that – contemplating the hand of God in their life even before they considered God, or his will for them. I understand God can pick those he wants to use for his purposes… and they intern have the same freedoms we do, but a limited playing field in life, I suppose. So, it makes me wonder how Paul contemplated these things.


Back to the theme of Paul here. He is plainly asserting that his Gospel is from Jesus Christ… and not man’s thoughts. Also, it is not the summary of all the testimonies of the Apostles (of which he has joined in their ranks – being a witness to the risen Lord and taught by Jesus). Paul began preaching and teaching before any approval from Peter, or any one else. He knew what had happened to him and his road ahead. As the Lord also spoke in the book of ACTS, “I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” Paul was ready to suffer by the hands of Jews, Gentiles and Christians as well – who wouldn’t believe all of this and would reject him.


Notice that Paul is carrying his authority through verse 1, 10 and now 17?


Bottom Line:

· Paul is such a unique character. He is the exact example of the life lived in Christ. From rebellion to confession. From persecutor to promoter. This reversal of one of the first witnesses of Jesus should make us urgently pray for and expect some of the most negative advocates against Jesus to turn out to be some of the best evangelists for him (Josh McDowell, Lee Strobel, etc).

· This must happen through direct impact of the Revelation of God. A few will see Jesus (like Paul) but these are the exceptions. Mostly it is the reversal of life that all Christians should have that make people take notice and hopefully, after taking notice, the preaching, reading and contemplation of the sayings of Jesus and the Bible as a whole will allow the Holy Spirit to directly impact ones life apart from the salvation found in Jesus alone.


As I sit here in India:

· I still hate Satan here in India. I hate the lies and chains of false religions, philosophies, false promises, etc. But I must always see many here as prisoners to a system they were born into. A system that man and beast (satan) have shaped over 4-6 millennia. And they who promote this system the most, perhaps, will be the ones who will meet Jesus Christ and soon promote what they formerly persecuted. Is God any different today? Does he not enjoy and desire this also? Former Muslims, atheists, Hindus, Jews and Buddhists point us towards a resounding, “YES, the same God desires all to come to him now through the way made by his Son.”

No comments: